steamy goodness

Man. Have been wallowing in the good way. Finally took the time to go and read the latest stories in the Career Change series that I recced the other day, Desperate Times and the to-be-continued Glory Night. I know some people stay away from WIPs, but sometimes you should just let yourself be seduced because, Jesus, this series is fan-fucking-tastic, and just gets better with every new installment. Originally, I remember the premise of the series reading to me as a dark but modest twist of fate--what if Giles were vamped? And in the first few stories, there's a heavy focus on Giles and Spike. There was no bad there, but now it's really taking off, cleverly and ambitiously reworking the heart of season five, with a skillful weaving of ensemble threads. And there's never a single wrong note--every character is in character, even Giles, and he's a *vampire*, so how good do you have to be to pull that off? Freaking brilliant. When you read this, you *get* why fan-fiction exists--to go to this cool, inventive, edgy place that canon won't, but do it exactly as if canon *would*. Would have if it could have. Plus, it's just deliciously good fun.

As I mentioned before, if you start with New Boy, you can continue at the end of the story via links to all the sequels. It's so very worth it.

I also discovered that a sequel was posted to Steam, a hot X/S story from a while back. The sequel is Touch, and I think I might even like it better--when I realized at the end of the story where and how it had been fitted into season six, I felt a strange pang of gratitude. Because sometimes fan-fiction is a sweet, gooey balm to ease the wounds that canon inflicts.

I joined the Yahoo group for fiction announcements from the Two Ladies of Quality. I love when people have Yahoo groups. It makes tracking WIPs so much easier.